Pages

22 February 2016

The Person vs. the Personal Statement

Students can be apprehensive when bringing in personal statements.  Sessions might be prefaced by a comment along the lines of, “I’m not good at writing about myself.”  And I think part of that apprehension stems from the fear that the words are a direct reflection of who they are as a person.  If someone tells them that the personal statement isn’t good, wouldn’t that imply that they as a person aren’t “good” as well?
  
It’s a tenuous line to walk as a reader (and as someone called to give feedback).  For me, the best way to negotiate that line is by couching advice in positive terms.  I’ve noticed that one common issue is writers summarizing accomplishments (telling rather than showing).  So, instead of saying “There isn’t enough here,” I might mention, “I’d like to hear more about this experience.”

Another common problem is what I call the “I haven’t done anything.”  Perhaps the student had a job, but it’s not relevant to their field.  And while the student has decent grades, admissions boards can see that on the transcript.  To me, this is an opportunity to get to know the student better.  Where are they from?  What from their childhood sparked their interest in the field?  At the end of the personal statement, I want to feel like I have a grasp on who this person is, and many times that can be accomplished by discussing formative experiences outside of academia.

At times, though, the “I haven’t done anything” may simply be an issue of modesty.   Students downplay their involvement in organizations or clubs because they might not think these achievements are impressive, or they don’t believe they have much to say about them.  However, by delving into these experiences, and then describing what one takes away from them, we get insight into the writer’s inner self.

I always aim to be encouraging as a consultant, but I’m even more aware of it when dealing with personal statements.  For students, the task of writing one may seem daunting because it could be viewed as a reflection of their shortcomings.  And for those students who are struggling, it’s even more important to listen to their stories, to help them find a narrative that doesn’t merely inform, but also illuminates.

By Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment