Pages

21 February 2016

Consulting Graduate Students Working on Theses/Dissertations

This semester, I’ve had a few regular PhD students working on their dissertations or dissertation proposals. At first, I wondered if I had enough experience to consult this level of work, and I was especially concerned about my lack of technical knowledge in fields like engineering. As I began to work with these writers, I realized that being a graduate student myself, I have a lot to offer in terms of the writing process and organizing principles of a dissertation/proposal. Even when I don’t understand the specifics of a study, I’m able to ask questions and point out inconsistencies or places for further development. My biggest suggestions when working with graduate students are to pull from your own strengths and knowledge about thesis/dissertation writing, approach them as academic peers, and foster an environment of open engagement.

Here are three more tips for consulting regular graduate students working on theses or dissertations:

Have a goal for the hour.  The intake part of the session is especially important with regular graduate students who are working on long documents. You can’t cover everything in one hour, so at the beginning of your session, ask the writer what she would like to accomplish and if there are any questions since the last session. It is helpful for me to recap where we left off last time, and I usually ask the writer what she has done since our last meeting. Decide on a goal together, and make sure you leave enough time at the end to discuss what the writer will work on between sessions. I usually make specific recommendations to structure their work at home.

     Print a section at a time. Graduate students working on long documents are less likely to print their work. While they might prefer working on the whole document on their laptops, gently encourage them to print copies of small sections. This is related to having a manageable goal for the session – if the writer wants to focus on one section of her literature review, ask her to print just that section. It will help keep on task, and you will both catch more than if you were looking at a screen. 

     Keep the big picture in mind. Even if you are only working on one section at a time, think of how that section fits into the whole. Towards the end of each session, I ask large-order questions about how a particular piece works in terms of the whole document. I spend a lot of time looking at organization and making recommendations about order and progression. I’ve noticed that much of the time, graduate students want to talk about large issues of process and organization, and as consultants, we can provide a sounding board as they iron out the roadblocks they may be experiencing.

For more information on theses and dissertations, check out these resources:



USF Thesis and Dissertation Guidebook (If you’re working with a writer who is formatting her document for submission): http://www.grad.usf.edu/inc/linked-files/etd_guidebook.pdf

By Lorraine E. Monteagut, Ph.D. in Communication (in progress)

No comments:

Post a Comment