Pages

31 March 2016

iSessions, MySessions

This semester I have begun doing iSessions with (essentially) all of my writers. At first, I was a bit skeptical: 1) writers have less responsibility to make note of any changes to their writing, as I am making the changes and emailing the pdf to them after 2) the sessions are recorded which initially added stress about saying something incorrect or giving bad advice (maybe not in line with a professor after-the-fact) and 3) I was thoroughly enjoying the pencil (pen) and paper physicality of the regular sessions. All that being said, I think I can confidently state that I am a full supporter of the iSessions and the added benefits provided to the writers.

Most of my writers have been unaware that their session was an iSession. This tends to result in some confusion at first with getting an electronic copy and convincing them that they will be provided the same services as a normal session with iPad and TV for better visualization. [I had one writer arrive and made aware of the iSession, resulting in her (nearly) shouting, “Nooooo, I want to work with a REAL person, not an iPad!!” To that the deskstaff calmly responded, “She is a real person…she’s sitting at the back table.”]

Once all of the confusion is cleared up and the writing is pulled up on the TV, almost every writer is initially in awe of the capabilities. I have found that, contrary to my initial assumptions, writers are more engaged in the conversation of amending their writing, even though they do not need to write everything down. It seems to me that removing the burden of transcribing allows for the writers to be more attentive to interact with me and discuss potential changes in the writings.

I have been using the app Notability for all of my sessions. [Side note: many of my writers have been so impressed with the app that they take down the name to download later for themselves.] I (luckily) used the app in the last few years of my coursework, and so I have become proficient- there was definitely a learning curve at the start. This allows me to more seamlessly make notes, write out complete legible thoughts/ideas, change colors for different things (i.e., one color for grammar mistakes, a different color for new opening/closing sentence ideas, yet another color for highlighting and moving sentences/paragraphs). I love colors!! I think the end result is a very visually stimulating revision of the initial writing piece. All in all, I think iSessions make it easier for the writer to follow along with the changes made during the session and make the corrections later by themselves.

Yay, Team iSessions!!

By Melanie Pickett, Ph.D. in Environmental Engineering (in progress)


No comments:

Post a Comment