Pages

26 October 2015

Encouraging Regulars by Remembering Little Things

Don’t you like being a “regular” somewhere?  As a creature of habit, I enjoy seeing friendly faces in familiar places.  I find something as simple as not having to explain my order to a barista or a friendly custodian asking about my research as some of life’s little pleasures; someone remembered and enjoyed an interaction with you enough that they were willing to follow-up about it.  Doesn’t this give you the same satisfying feeling as clean sheets on your bed, a full tube of toothpaste, or a good laugh with friends?

In my first semester working at the Writing Studio, I’ve found that a majority of the writers that come to see me are now “regulars.”  Sometimes we work for a few sessions on the same personal statement and other times we make edits to weekly online posts.  Regardless of the tasks, one of the benefits of having regulars is that we are slowly able to build professional acquaintanceships.  By this, I mean that I usually find the time to ask about some previous work we’ve done, a class they’ve mentioned as challenging, or even something slightly more personal as their off-campus job.  It’s also nice to recognize their faces and be able to call them by name.

None of these inquiries about little things are monumental investments of my time or mental effort.  As a matter of fact, I’m genuinely interested in hearing how their progress in class reflects the effectiveness of our work together. I hope to encourage the students in such a way that they’ll know they’re valued and remembered, and that their hard work is appreciated…especially as they progress towards their writing goals.

By Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment